When it comes to Donald Trumps presidential campaign there are all kinds of theories involving it. One common one is that he was setting this up for Hillary as he previously supported her. Considering his ego, I don’t find that compelling.
What can explain such a badly run campaign on every level? It’s like he is doing everything he can to loose.
Some have conjectured that Trump was never really in it to win, but as a vanity run for self-promotion.
“good publicity is preferable to bad, but from a bottom-line perspective, bad publicity is sometimes better than no publicity at all. Controversy, in short, sells.”
― Donald J. Trump, Trump: The Art of the Deal
I find this theory to fit the facts better, but doesn’t fully account for his ego.
If this explanation has any merit it dawned on me a movie plot that explained everything.
In the plot of Mel Brooks’s The Producers (1967) they hit upon a plot for creating a play sure to fail, while getting seed money from rich old ladies with each promised a substantial take of the profits. So they proceed to write a musical about Hitler while hiring the worst actors possible. Of course it becomes a big hit and their scheme fails in the worst way possible.
So if you wanted to run a failed GOP presidential campaign:
- Write crazy stream-of-consciousness Twitter feed.
- Make outrageous remarks during debates and speeches.
- Praise Planned Parenthood.
- Appeal to our worst nature and say things that would make Know-Nothings proud.
- Offer to pay legal bills if fans beat up protesters.
- Say that the father of a rival candidate helped killed Kennedy.
- Make policy positions all over the map, that change constantly.
- No understanding of foreign policy while not doing basic homework.
- Spending little or no money for political advertisements.
- This list can go on and on.
Guaranteed to ensure a failed run, except like in The Producers where “Springtime for Hitler” became a hit – so does The Donald. Writing a play so outrageous and in such bad taste was hilarious in The Producers. Not so funny when a equally deplorable script has become the election season.
You can’t make this stuff up.
What scares me is not that he can’t win against Hillary, but that he could. Pundits have been wrong pretty much about every projection regarding his run.
So those in the GOP who were screaming for a “Big Tent”, well we got one full of clowns. A convention turned into a circus. We have gone from “Character counts” to “Character Assassination Counts”. Great way to defeat the despicable morally corrupt Hillary Clinton, by countering at the same level.
Reality was better when you could discern it from satire.