American Papist posts the LA Archdiocese’s welcome video for
Pope Benedict which concentrates on the blessing of the
animals. I don’t think the video is as awful as Thomas does,
thought the segments of Cardinal Mahony spraying water at everthing in
sight that is merged into it is unintentionally funny. Though
he does have a point that it is nowhere near as good as the other
Now you might wonder why they decided on
the blessing of animals for their submission. Well I think it
is quite obvious. Here is a top ten list for the reasons why
they picked this subject.
- A video of the beauty of the Cathedral of our Lady of the
Angel. (Video would be way too short)
- Highlights from the L.A. Religious Education Congress. Well
maybe that is something else they would not want the Holy Father to
- Beautiful reverent liturgies using a large glass jug for
the Precious Blood. Oops another thing that should be on the
- A tour of bursting seminaries from a diocese with more than
four million Catholics. Oh wait you would have to set up a
Potemkin seminary first.
- A video of the numerous times the Cardinal has honored and
hosted events for pro-abortion Catholics. Darn that won’t work either.
- A tour of the Archdiocese property, minus of course all the
buildings sold because of the priestly abuse. Well maybe not.
- A video of the ordination of openly gay Deacon Eric Stollz
who has written publicly against the Church’s teaching on
homosexuality. Well maybe another ordination would be more appropriate.
- Or how about a video showing how fast the Archdiocese
responded to the removal of the indult for EMHC’s purifying sacred
vessels. Oh wait the Cardinal wrote a memo instead that no
changes would be made at the present time.
- Well maybe a video exposition of “Gather Faithfully
Together: A Guide for Sunday Mass” written by the Cardinal.
Surely the Pope would want to put this as an appendix to his
book “Spirit of the Liturgy.” Well then again maybe as an example of
how not to explain Eucharistic theology and following the norms of the
- Or maybe a video showing how cooperative the Archdiocese
was in providing documents to the court in the matter of handling
sexual abuse. I guess just as long as you define
“cooperative” as stonewalling and doing every legal maneuver possible
to keep this from happening.
Well how about a video on the blessing of animals? Yeah that’s the