Nov. 08 (CWNews.com) – The president of the French bishops’ conference has said that discussions of a papal initiative to broaden use of the traditional Latin Mass has "taken on unreal proportions." But Cardinal Paul Ricard has repated that the rumored papal document is not ready for release.
Speaking to reporters after the conclusion of the French bishops’ meeting at Lourdes, Cardinal Ricard said that "various consultations" will be made by Vatican officials before the release of a new papal document on the traditional liturgy. "We can communicate our fears and hopes," he had already promised his fellow French bishops.
Cardinal Ricard told reporter that the Ecclesia Dei commission, of which he is a member, will have an opportunity to review the proposed motu proprio which which the Pope would free up use of the traditional liturgy. Consultations on that document will begin in Rome soon, he suggested.
Oh great, now the French find something not to surrender on.