International Blasphemy Day is not just a day. It is a movement to dismantle the wall which exists between religion and criticism.
The primary focus of the Blasphemy Day movement and indeed this website is not to debate the existence of any gods or deities (there is an abundance of fantastic websites which deal explicitly with that argument all over the internet, check the Web Links section).
The objective of International Blasphemy Day is to open up all religious beliefs to the same level of free inquiry, discussion and criticism to which all other areas of academic interest are subjected.
Why September 30? The last day in September is the anniversary of the original publication of Danish cartoons in 2005 depicting the prophet Muhammad’s face. Any visual depiction of Muhammad is considered a grave offence under Islamic law
Well I can get behind them as far a free speech goes and think laws on blasphemy are stupid.
Blasphemy is a joyous, funny, socially progressive, and profoundly moral act. It deserves its own day. Join the group. Spread the word.
Well if God does not exist then cursing him is not a moral act, just a wasted one. Defiling sacred things if they are in fact not sacred is time spent in your very short lifetime. The main purpose of a blasphemy day is for atheists to call attention to themselves to mock theists. And of course P.Z. Myers has to weigh in.
I only have one reservation. Every day should be Blasphemy Day
Well as a former atheist I can also speak some atheist blasphemies.
- Darwin not only did not come up with evolution, but he said some racist things and lived a double life to hide his convictions.
- Schopenhauer, Nitsche, and Rand and countless other atheistic philosophers were all selfish jerks who alienated those around them and died miserable.
- Theists are free to believe or disbelieve whether a miracle occurred in a specific circumstance. Atheists must dogmatically reject that a miracle occurred.
- Theists are free to accept or reject evolutions based on evaluating the scientific evidence. Atheists are not free to reject evolution.
- Freethinkers are not free to believe in God.
- The scientific method is a fruit of the theology of Christianity. The scientific method was stillborn in all other cultures because of their philosophy.
- If extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, then where is the extraordinary evidence that matter could be ex nihilo – out of nothing.
Of course the main focus of Blasphemy day is Christian Blasphemy Day. As Chesterton said:
Blasphemy is an artistic effect, because blasphemy depends upon a philosophic conviction. Blasphemy depends upon belief and is fading with it. If any one doubts this, let him sit down seriously and try to think blasphemous thoughts about Thor. I think his family will find him at the end of the day in a state of some exhaustion.