I have been meme'd by A Journey Home - An Unassuming Catholic Blog
1. Eggnog, Cider or Hot Chocolate?
I am with the Anchoress on this one – definitely Guinness.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Multi-Colored lights inside than out. I don’t understand white light only people. They probably go into Baskin and Robbins and order Vanilla.
4. Which of Santa’s reindeer — Rudolph, Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Donder, Blitzen, Cupid and Comet. — are you? And why?
Rudolf – since drinking Guinness can possibly lead to a red nose.
5. When do you put your decorations up?
First Sunday of Advent. Now for you Christmas rigorists I actually put up Advent decorations that eventually morph into Christmas decorations. I got a live Advent tree this year.
6. What is your favorite Christmas dish?
Dish network since they carry EWTN.
7. Favorite Christmas memory as a child?
Pretty much all of the ones where my brother and I woke up at 3 am in anticipation raiding the stockings and waiting the infinite time till the adults finally woke up and got ready.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
In the process of becoming Catholic I found out that he was a Bishop that allegedly once hit a heretic in the nose. Now if you are talking about the guy that stole his identity it was when I became aware of a gif allegedly from him that I saw got bought before his arrival.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Not since the kids have grown up.
10. What kind of cookies does Santa get set out for him?
One year he got a slice of cheese since their were no cookies in the house.
11. Snow! Love it or hate it?
Love it. That is why I life in Florida, though I am glad I had it as a kid
12. Can you ice skate?
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
My favorite gift is faith and the first year I celebrated Christmas believing in Jesus.
14. What’s the most important thing about Christmas to you?
It’s all about family and smelling the roses. Oops my mind went on automatic from countless Christmas season movies. Actually it is meditating on the Incarnation and God coming to us a a child wrapped in swaddling clothes.
15. What is your favorite Christmas dessert?
16. Favorite Christmas tradition?
Midnight Mass and Singing Carols.
17. What tops your tree?
18. Which do you prefer–GIVING OR RECEIVING?
Still working on it being the giving part.
19. What is your favorite Christmas Carol?
This is like Sophie’s choice for me. How can you pick just one? But for starters Good King Wenceslas, O, Come All Ye Faithful, We Three Kings (though maybe that it an Epiphany carol), Hark the Herald Angels Sing
My father use to sing Hark the Hairlip Angels Sing "Gwory to the newbworn kwing" to me.
Well pretty much most of them written before the secularization of Christmas though I have a special fondness of "The Boar’s Head Carol." In many ways God used Christmas Carol’s to bring me into his Church as I had previously posted.
20. Candy Canes?
I like them. Though it gets annoying every year to hear or read someone once again repeating the urban myth of the Christian connection. Though there is also the urban myth of The Twelve Days of Christmas as Catechism.
Hey what are you, the grinch of urban myths? My daughter is going to be heartbroken now that I will have to inform her that candycanes aren’t inherently Christian.
But from one geek to another geek, I prefer truthorfiction.com to snopes.com. Truth or Fiction seems to have an almost Christian feel to it. It isn’t overly evident nor does it interfere with the process (as if Christianity could interfere with Truth) but there isn’t the snipes at Christianity I see from Snopes.com.
21. Do you believe Christ was born on Dec. 25th?
I liked the Boar’s Head Carol as well, however we tended to make up new verses:
The Boar’s Head in hand I bring
with sunken eyes, and blood dripping
and so on.
My favourite carol has to be Noel Sing We (for the lyrics). Unfortunately, I don’t know the melody.
This is great. Re: number 20, I don’t like it when people try to find meaning in candy either.