From a reader here are the New York Daily New’s stylebook, which is quite typical.
Abortion guidelines Guidelines regarding stories and headlines on abortion:
1. Call those who oppose abortions abortion foes or abortion opponents or (in tight-count heads) abort foes. Avoid the phrases pro-life or pro-lifers, except in direct quotations.
2. Those who favor a woman’s right to an abortion are abortion rights activists or pro- abortion rights or pro-choice. Avoid pro-abortion.
3. Also avoid the phrase “when the life of the mother is at stake.” Make it “… life of the woman …” Don’t call the fetus an unborn child, and don’t refer to the unborn in headlines.
4. You can use abortion clinic or abort clinic in tight-count headlines.
5. Columnists have free rein in choosing their own terms to describe the issue.