Cacciaguida has has passed on to me the Caesar’s Bath Meme "List five things that people in your circle of friends or peer group are wild about, but you can’t really understand the fuss over. To use the words of Caesar (from History of the World Part I), ‘Nice. Nice. Not thrilling . . . but nice.’" Here were his answers.
- Bottled Water: This one is just beyond me in its appeal. Just the thought of paying the same thing for a bottle of water as for a bottle of soda shows that society is wacky. To actually have a favorite brand of water makes me laugh. "Ah 2005 this is a good year with full taste and a fine aroma." Especially since tests have shown that the majority of bottled waters have the same levels of contaminates as tap water.
- Country Music: I was traumatized by the show He Haw as a kid – enough said.
- Sushi:I am convinced some lazy chef came up with this one. "Wow if I didn’t have to cook my job would be much easier." Raw fish by any other name is still raw fish people. I lived in Japan for two years and loved the culture but raw fish and seaweed is not for me. I have often thought that the mother of invention in not necessity but laziness instead.
- Radical Materialism: I am technically a boomer, but a reluctant one. Growing up in the me-me-me generation with radical individualism Through yuppies with their beamers and the hyper-concentration on things that pass away. On this subject I am like an ex-cigarette smoker on this subject since I previously was a devotee of Ayn Rand (yes I am still doing penance for this.)
- Reality Television: An oxymoron to say the least. This is like Candid Camera being out in the open and people still cooperating in the ridiculous circumstances setup. Though maybe it is an object lesson in what people are willing to do for money. I can see why some like this as a form of entertainment, it is just not for me.