I often enjoy books that are meant to be read daily which are focused on writings from a specific author, topic, or theme.
Generally these books have short enough entries to be able to be picked up and read during any time of the day.
There is also a sub category related to liturgical seasons for daily readings during, for example, Advent and Lent.
I am usually reading through two or more of this genre during the year.
So here is a list of some of my favorite daily readers.
After reading through this collection of Ratzinger’s essays and other writings over the year, I started from the beginning again. There were just so many times I highlighted quotes from this collection or otherwise was struck by something he wrote. No doubt I will be returning to this book.
As the title shows, this covers a short lesson in apologetics for every day of the year (including and extra day for leap years). This is not just common apologetic fare, but very interesting takes on common to more uncommon apologetic topics.
This is one I have been reading this year and have greatly enjoyed the selections taken from his apologetics works and his novels. The curation of these selections is excellent.
Anything by Mike Aquilina is bound to be excellent. That holds true here. Every single entry is pretty much gold. So often I find myself reading one of the selections and really reflecting on it. They hit me hard.
Saint Pope John Paul II’s writings could be rather dense. Mostly the selections try to pull from his more accessible writings. Very worthwhile.
The strength of these style daily compilations are dependent on the author. In this case Paul Thigpen’s selections are what makes this one of my must haves. Just a joy to read. The Imitation Leather version of this book is also worthwhile.
Another compilation by Paul Thigpen and another one I greatly recommend. Also the Imitation Leather version enhances the daily reading.
Here are some suggestions for some that are daily reading for Liturgical Seasons.
- Prepare Him Room: Advent Family Devotions by Amy Welborn Excellent and deep reflections and a bargain at $.99
- Rejoice! Advent Meditations with Mary, Journal by Fr. Mark Toups
- Advent with Saint Teresa of Calcutta: Daily Meditations
- Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas This is a collection of writings from various Catholic and Protestant writers. Mostly the selections are very good, some are total duds.
- Meditations for Lent from St. Thomas Aquinas I go through this every Lent.
- The Cries of Jesus from the Cross: A Fulton Sheen Anthology While this is not technically a daily reader. I used it as one during Lent. The selected essays are exceptional.
- Reconciled to God – Daily Lenten Devotions by Amy Welborn Pure gold.